Senior Software Developer
£Neg + loyalty bonus + pension
Visual Precision is looking for a Software Developer to join our team to lead the development of a new major application in our existing product suite. You may already have a background in a construction or engineering environment but this is not essential. What is needed is a keen eye for exactness both in design and structured code. More important however will be a strong command of Pythagorean mathematics and principles of computational geometry.
As a Software Developer you will take part in both coding as well as bringing your design skills to the table. This is a long term project and well suited to a developer who knows their abilities but needs to find a position where they can really stretch their wings. You're already a team player, but are looking for some autonomy where you can rise to the challenge of your own long-term project where you can think for yourself and make a marked difference to the business.
As a Developer you will take part in designing and developing code under the watchful eye of our Development Manager. You will enjoy the satisfaction of taking a product from detailed design through implementation and coding and technical support of the finished product.
What you’ll do
As a member of the development team you will define and implement robust, fault tolerant code taking the project from inception to implementation (and beyond) . You will read and understand product requirements and be able to platform elegant design, with the mental ability and drive to see the project through to implementation while maintaining good programming practices such as writing clean, well-tested code.
Like all our employees you will participate in in-house testing, beta testing and, after roll-out, product support and on-going development with the creation of operations and service documentation.
What you’ll need
- A minimum of 3+ years post graduate development experience OR 6+ years in a senior position.
- Computer science or equivalent academic degree will be an advantage but not essential as 'time served' is an alternative.
- A history of Developing Windows Desktop applications an advantage.
- The ability to work from a flexible specification and see where improvements to the design will improve the product.
- A talent for skillful and imaginative problem solving under your own volition.
- Experience of designing and coding an interactive 2D and 3D vector graphical user interface.
- A good understanding of Pythagorean mathematics and principles of computational geometry along with experience developing applications using the same.
- Experience of GDI, GDI+ and OpenGL essential - DirectX/WPF an advantage but not essential.
- An understanding of the principles of CAD an advantage.
- An understanding of the principles of assembling PDF files also an advantage.
- The ability to communicate appropriately with end users and provide customer support.
- The ability to manage version control.
- Experience of database development using ADO/DAO/SQL an advantage.
- Experience of multi-threading/64 bit an advantage.
If you are a highly motivated, tech-savvy team player who does not hesitate in the face of a tech challenge and loves to solve problems nobody else has solved before, you belong with us!